Friday, September 14, 2012

Stories


Stories

Reflecting on our VISTA training that was held last week for our SerVermont requirement, I’d like to highlight our viewing of “The danger of a single story,” a TED Talk by Chimamanda Adichie, an accomplished novelist. This talk emphasizes the complexity of stories that are woven into our lives, and the threat that lies in adopting only a single story of a person or place – lack of cultural competency and acceptance.

According to Adichie, having just a single story can lead to one being sorry for someone before one gets to know them, what she calls a ‘well-meaning pity’ which creates serious barriers. “The single story creates stereotypes, and the problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but that they are incomplete. They make one story become the only story,” states Adichie.

In reflection, we are all perpetrators when it comes to promoting single stories of “the poor, the less fortunate, the victims of the welfare system.” We can recognize that. Yet, where these single stories have come from, whether they’re from the media, family, experiences or exposure is not easy to discern. Does it matter? Or does it only matter that these single stories exist?

Adichie stresses that it is important to put single stories aside and open our eyes to new perspectives; being aware of my acceptance of a single story of those living in poverty was my first step. Segmenting it and using firsthand experience and my work to create a multitude of stories was second. Third, I am now actively encouraging people in my life, family, friends, and other loved ones to revise their single story of those living in poverty.

I had watched “The danger of a single story” previously in a public health class at Penn State and used a global lens. Watching it a second time, I used a local lens to draw parallels to the single story of Vermonters living in poverty. I was impelled to think about how VISTAs throughout the state are working to change this single story by building capacities in these communities to lift those struggling out of their current conditions. Throughout my year of service, I know that there will be single stories that I will encounter everywhere.

In the month I have been in my community, I have recognized a single story of youth, namely high-school students, college students, and “twenty-somethings.” I have heard, in a few experiences with community members that young people do not care about their community. I’ve heard excuses such as “it’s just that age.” I’ve heard a single story about all-around negativity and apathy: the youth are either disengaged, abusing substances, or they are pregnant or already parents.

I am confident that we can change this single story by getting youth engaged in the community through service projects, afterschool activities, and by advocating for health issues that affect them directly. Investing in the youth will provide an environment where their stories are celebrated.

I aim to be a part of the change by coordinating the Youth Ambassador Program and the Photovoice project with my colleague Nicole Rau. The Youth Ambassador Program will further the notion of the existence of many stories by empowering local high school students to become peer leaders and advocates for health issues teens are facing. We are accepting applications for Ambassadors now and it will certainly be an amazing journey! The Photovoice project will showcase the perspectives of three groups of young people. Participants will capture their community and the assets and needs that are preeminent through digital media and photography, and their stories will be on display.

I recently learned firsthand from some amazing teens on Wednesday that there are many stories of youth that yearn to be highlighted. These stories need a chance, they need the spotlight. See my next post for details! J

For the TED Talk by Chimamanda Adichie: 

For more information about the SerVermont:

For more information about Southwestern Vermont Medical Center:

For more information about AmeriCorps VISTA:




No comments:

Post a Comment