Monday, September 10, 2012

Culture


Culture

I’m learning that culture plays the most significant role in transitions. Yes, you will miss your hometown and college town and all of the persons you shared those years with in the process of joining the post-undergraduate world. Yet, it is important to remember to be grateful for what you’re experiencing in this moment and every moment forward. I’ve found that one way to be grateful is to learn about the new culture, reach out with an open heart, and explore.

Adjusting to the new organizational culture was a lesser part of the process for me, whereas adapting to the culture of my new state has been a grand adventure! This past weekend my colleague Nicole took me to the Vermont State Fair in Rutland, VT where I encountered a charming family atmosphere. We were accompanied by her friend Sarah, a Vermonter (and former Maple Queen!) who taught me about sugaring - the process of gathering sap and making maple syrup – and kindly explained the nature of maple sweets.

While we waited out a huge storm that rolled in, I tried a ‘maple creamie’ which is maple syrup mixed into soft serve ice cream, and maple candy. Delicious! I’ll never use maple-flavored corn syrup on pancakes again!

Walking around the fair in the rain, I saw lots of John Deere tractors (John Deere is from the Rutland area just like Nicole!), dairy cows being milked, a collection of chickens, sheep and goats, carnival games, and rides. I also saw the line of folks waiting to see American Idol Scotty McCreery, gigantic vegetables, guns, impressive art exhibits, and smelled some great fair food. I was also able to pet a dairy cow which was so exciting!  

I started my transition by being wowed by the Green Mountain views, and I certainly grow fonder of Vermont’s culture and sense of community each day.

For more information about Southwestern Vermont Medical Center:
For more information about AmeriCorps VISTA:
For more information about the Vermont State Fair:

No comments:

Post a Comment