Thursday, August 23, 2012

LoVermont

A little about me... 

My name is Veronica Ariel and I'm originally from a tiny town called Millville, Massachusetts in Worcester County. So tiny that there is only one stop light and one small general store... We do have a gas station and a half pizza place half bar though! Pretty exciting!

When I was getting ready to graduate in May from The Pennsylvania State University, I was looking for a job where I could put my baccalaureate skills into practice, and combine my passions for health care and community service. I also knew that I wanted to be a part of the health care reform that is sweeping the nation. 

I was directed to Americorps VISTA by several Student Affairs staff members and was delighted to find that I could make a difference within a non-profit in health care...and ...I applied to a bunch of programs! My top choice was an Americorps VISTA position at Southwestern Vermont Medical Center with a focus in Community Health Improvement. In the middle of May, I was notified that I'd been selected!   

Fast forward through summer...I moved to Bennington, Vermont at the beginning of August and I'm now getting adjusted to all of the Vermonty things in my new life here, such as: REAL maple syrup, Cabot cheese, the saying 'Jeezum Crow,' Ben n Jerry's, the gorgeous Green Mountains, painted moose, being outdoorsy, and John Deere. I've learned that syrup is pronounced sur-up, and that country music is played everywhere! I've also learned what a catamount is, to avoid pronouncing my "t"s, and that learning to fly fish may be a great idea! Needless to say, I love calling Vermont my new home! 

The past two weeks have been a whirlwind! I've met some amazing community members, and I am impressed by the initiatives that address poverty-related issues already in place here. My colleague and I received a warm welcome by the health system employees, and have had the opportunity to begin working on several fantastic projects! 

The Green Mountain vista that is now everywhere I look reminds me how lucky I am to be in this new exciting chapter of my life! More updates to come! 






For more information on VISTA:
http://www.americorps.gov/for_individuals/choose/vista.asp

For more information on Southwestern Vermont Healthcare: 
http://svhealthcare.org/



2 comments: